Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Reflection - 18 September 2010 (E)

One of the things which struck me in Chapter 7, was the use of calculators. Initially, I always thought the calculators were mainly used to help one calculate a complicated problem, which may be difficult to calculate mentally. Sometimes, when one is lazy, the use of a calculator is also used, despite the fact that the given problem may be able to be solved mentally. Calculators are also sometimes used by others to check their work.
However, after reading through Chapter 7, I realized that while some of the benefits which I had about the use of calculators were true, it also has other benefits which I was not aware of. For example, I was not aware that the use of calculators can accommodate students with special needs. According to what I have read in Chapter 7, research has also shown that students who use calculators frequently tend to have a better attitude towards Mathematics, thus showing that the use of a calculator can improve one's attitude and motivation.
After exploring the given links, the activity which I liked was "Developing Geometry Understandings and Spatial Skills, which was under the link, "e-Examples". The activity may be challenging for children, but it is also fun! It allows children to think of the best ways to do the activity, and even I enjoyed doing the activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment