Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Reflection - 22 September 2010 (F)

In reading Chapter 8 of the textbook, I realised that it is true that we as teachers, tend to use the word, "more" as compared to the word, "less" with the children. In addition, the word, "more" seems to be one of the first few concepts taught to children most of the time. Thus, children may tend to be more familiar to the concept of "more" and "same". For my class, who are 3-years-old, instead of just introducing the concept of "same", I also attempted to introduce the word, "different". Although only a minority seems to understand the concept fully, at least the class was able to be exposed to the concept of "different" instead of just to the concept of "same". Although the activities given are mainly advanced for my class, I have used a more simplified version of the activity in figure 8.1, where sets of "more", "less" and "same" are made. I have yet to teach my children the concepts of "more" and "less", but when teaching the concepts of "same" and "different", I would invite children to take either the same or different objects, using manipulative.
One of the activities mentioned in the textbook, which has yet to be a common practice in preschool is the use of calculators. The children are mainly invited to use either their fingers or manipulative to calculate a number.

No comments:

Post a Comment